Have you noticed that Jesus’s ability to see in the future is in full swing here in their chapter?
- “when you enter the city, a man carrying a jar of water will meet you.” (22:9)
- “I earnestly desired to eat the Passover with you before I suffer.” (vs 15)
- “…the hand of him who betrays me is with me on the table.” (vs 21)
- “..and when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.” (vs 32) (Speaking like He knows he will turn!)
- ..the rooster will not crow this day, until you deny me three times that you know me.” (vs. 34)
- “For what is written about me has its fulfillment.” (vs 37)
This is just one more reason to know that Jesus is God. God is sovereign. He orders allevents to accomplish his purpose, even down to the detail of a man carrying a water jug! Think of the preplanning on that one tiny detail!!
Wife: “Honey, I went and got water this morning but little Joe just knocked over the bucket. Can you please go get more?”
Man: “Sure, dear, I’ll go right now.”
Peter: “Look, John! There is a guy carrying a jar! Jesus said there would be a man doing that! Follow him!”
John: “Excuse me, sir?!…The teacher says to you, where is the guest room…” (Like the teacher didn’t know! Ha!)
HOWEVER, God’s sovereignty does not cancel man’s responsibility for those events. Jesus makes that painful clear in this chapter when he says, “For the Son of Man goes as it has been determined, but woe to that man by whom he is betrayed.” (vs. 23)
God’s sovereignty and man’s responsibility is a hard concept to grasp for my finite mind. Even Moses wrote of us not being able to figure out all of God:
“The secret things belong to the Lord, our God, but the things that are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law.” (Deut. 29:29)
I take comfort in that I can’t figure out God. That means He is bigger than my brain can handle and that is how it should be!! I’m good with that. Like a child who trusts that the Dad knows what he is doing, it gives me security and peace, knowing God has it all figured out.