Day 80~ 1 John 1-5- Liar!
There is some debate as to whether John, who wrote these letters we are about to read, is the same John as the apostle. Let’s just say he is. The apostle John died around AD100. If Jesus died at around AD 30, 70 years had lapsed since the resurrection of Jesus. John was probably the youngest disciple; let’s say he was in his late teens. That would make him about 88 years old while he was writing these letters! Old people can get away with being very direct. They don’t have time to beat around the bush!
My husband was listening to talk radio a few years ago when he heard someone with an Indian accent call into the program. It became a heated conversation and the accented man blurted out, “You’re a liar! A liar to da pee-pole! Well, that caught my husbands attention and tickled his funny bone. He came home and told me about the dialogue. That saying became one of those phrases that became part of our family’s vocabulary. We use it with each other, but you probably won’t hear us use it outside of our family.
It is not politically correct to call anyone a liar these days. (Probably because our society doesn’t know absolute truth.) Everything is relative. ‘Your truth is your’s, but not my truth”. Thus, no one is allowed to tell a boy he is a boy if he wants to be called a girl. Anyway…..I won’t go there…let’s get back to John……
Did you notice how many times John was pointing out the liars?
- 1:6 “If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness we lie and do not live out the truth.”
- 2:4 “ Whoever says, ‘I know him’, but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person.”
- 2:21 “I do not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it and because no lie comes from truth. Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ.”
- 4:20 “Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar.”
- 5:10 “Whoever believes in the Son of God accepts this testimony. Whoever does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because they have not believed the testimony God has given about his son.”
Isn’t it just like Satan to operate exactly opposite to the Bible? John calls out those who lie to themselves and others. Yet, today, Satan has manipulated our society to feel it is ‘inappropriate’ to call anyone a liar. The sad result is that there are a bunch of people who are just deceiving themselves. They may think that since they say they are Christian, they are. However, John goes to great lengths to explain that it is more than just saying you’re a Christian; you have to believe with such sincerity that your actions naturally demonstrate that belief (4:20). If they don’t….as John and the Indian man say, you’re a lair! A liar to da pee-pole (and to yourself). 😣